April’s here and spring has certainly sprung! As the weather warms and early flowers begin to bloom, all of a sudden it feels like there’s much to be done in the garden again!
Make the most out of your garden any chance you get with these tasks:
- Give your greenhouse an in-depth scrub (if you haven’t already) with hot soapy water. This will remove pests, diseases and let in more light.
- Arrange beds for the growing season. Dig in a 5cm (or more) layer of compost or manure. You can also work in a general-purpose fertiliser, like a pelleted chicken manure, or fish, blood and bone.
- Check your container plants aren’t drying out, the warmer weather will rapidly disturb soil moisture levels.
- Keep on removing faded flowers from winter pansies to prevent them setting seed. This will embolden blooms of new flowers throughout the spring.
- Go over tree ties to ensure they’re not cutting into the trunk. Relax any that are tight, to give the trunk some room to expand.
- Mow your lawn more frequently, as required. Lower your mower blades closer to the end of the month.
- Invest in water butts, place them under a downpipe to make the most of the rain.