Use a can of mixed beans to make this tomato-based veggie stew with halloumi. Make it in just 25 minutes for a quick and easy midweek supper.
Prep: 5 mins
Cook: 20 mins
3 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 red pepper, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
3 tbsp red chilli, sundried tomato pesto or vegan alternative
1 heaped tsp ground coriander
400g can mixed beans, drained and rinsed
400g can chopped tomatoes
½ x 250g block halloumi, sliced
½ small bunch of coriander, finely chopped
garlic bread, to serve (optional)
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a frying pan over a medium heat.
- Add the onion and pepper, along with a pinch of salt and fry for 10 mins or until softened.
- Add the garlic, pesto and ground coriander, and cook for 1 min.
- Tip in the beans and tomatoes along with ½ can of water, then bring to a simmer and cook uncovered for 10 mins.
- Add the remaining oil to a separate frying pan over a medium heat.
- Fry the halloumi for 2 mins on each side or until golden brown.
- Taste the beans for seasoning, then spoon into deep bowls.
- Top with the halloumi and scatter over the chopped coriander.
- Serve with garlic bread, if you like.
Recipe from bbcgoodfood.com