Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 30 Mins
200g wholemeal flour
200g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp caster sugar
25g butter , melted
300ml milk , at room temperature
175g cheddar , coarsely grated
3 tbsp pumpkin seeds
85g ready-roasted pepper from a jar, drained and chopped
- Heat oven to 190C/fan 170C/gas 5.
- Sift the dry ingredients into a large bowl and make a large well in the middle.
- Combine the melted butter and milk, then pour into the well. Mix to a soft dough.
- Dust the work surface with flour.
- Add most of the cheddar, 2 tbsp of the pumpkin seeds and the chopped peppers to the dough.
- Gently knead to combine on the floured surface.
- Divide into 8 lumps and shape into rough rounds two finger-widths deep.
- Place the pieces side by side on a floured baking sheet, scatter the remaining cheddar and pumpkin seeds over the top and bake for 30 mins until golden brown and the cheese is bubbling.
- Cool on a wire rack and eat while warm. The bread can be frozen at this point. To reheat, wrap the bread tightly in foil and bake at 200C/fan 180C/gas 6 for about 30 mins.
Recipe from Good Food magazine, November 2005
Image from: www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1091/cheesy-bonfire-bread