Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 8 mins
1 ripe banana
75g milk chocolate, chopped
4 slices crusty white bread from a round loaf
3 medium egg
1 tbsp double cream
1 tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
25g unsalted butter
ground cinnamon, to serve
icing sugar or extra maple syrup, to serve (optional)
- Slice the banana into a small bowl and mash using a fork.
- Add the chopped chocolate and mix to combine.
- Lay 2 slices of bread on the work surface. Divide the chocolate and banana mixture between them, spreading it almost to the edges.
- Top each with a second slice of bread and press together to make a sandwich.
- In a shallow dish, whisk together the eggs, double cream, maple syrup and vanilla extract.
- Melt the butter in a large frying pan over a medium heat.
- Lay one sandwich into the egg mixture to coat one side, then carefully flip it over so that both sides of the sandwich are soaked in the egg.
- Lower the sandwich into the hot frying pan and cook for about 1 min on each side, until golden brown and the chocolate has started to melt.
- Repeat with the second sandwich.
- Cut the sandwiches in half to serve and sprinkle with a little ground cinnamon and either icing sugar or extra maple syrup if you’re feeling super-indulgent.
Recipe from Good Food magazine, April 2012
Image from: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2053653/chocolate-and-banana-french-toast