Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 1hr 10 mins
500g pack lamb mince, or ask your butcher for minced lamb shoulder
1 ½ tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 tsp cumin seeds
4 garlic cloves, grated
500ml lamb stock
75g manzanilla olives, pitted and sliced
zest 1 lemon
1 green chilli, sliced
1 tbsp chopped mint
3 large courgettes, halved lengthways and seeds removed
150g goat’s cheese
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/ gas 6.
- Put the mince in a frying pan with 1 tbsp oil.
- Fry over a high heat until the lamb is dark and crisp, about 14 mins.
- Drain in a colander.
- Return the pan to the heat, add the remaining oil and the onion, and fry until golden brown.
- Tip in the cumin and garlic, fry for 1 min, then add the mince and stock, and simmer for 20 mins.
- Add the olives, lemon zest, chilli, mint and some seasoning, and simmer for 5 mins more.
- Sprinkle the courgettes with 1 tbsp flaky sea salt and leave in a colander for 15 mins to draw out a little moisture.
- Rinse under cold water, pat dry with kitchen paper, then transfer to an ovenproof dish.
- Fill the courgette halves with the lamb mixture and crumble over the goat’s cheese.
- Cook in the oven for 20-25 mins until the cheese is golden brown.
Recipe from Good Food magazine, July 2016
Image from: www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/courgettes-stuffed-goats-cheese-lamb-ragout