Who says healthy can’t be hearty? You’ll feel satisfied and nourished with this low-calorie, simple-to-make chicken pie.
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 25 mins
2 tbsp cold pressed rapeseed oil
500g chicken breasts, cut into chunks
4 spring onions, sliced
3 garlic cloves, grated
thumb-sized piece ginger, grated
1 tbsp curry powder
1 large head broccoli, cut into florets, top of stalk thinly sliced
1 tsp soy sauce
250ml low-fat coconut milk, plus a splash
250ml chicken stock
1 heaped tsp cornflour mixed with 1 tbsp hot water
4 large handfuls kale
4 sheets filo pastry
½ tbsp nigella seeds
- Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. Pour 1 tbsp oil into a flameproof casserole dish.
- Add the chicken, season and fry for 4-5 mins on a medium heat, turning, until lightly browned. Remove with tongs and set aside.
- Pour another ½ tbsp oil into the casserole dish and add the spring onions. Fry gently for a couple of mins, then stir in the garlic, ginger and curry powder.
- Cook for 1 min, then tip the chicken back into the pan, along with the broccoli, soy sauce, coconut milk, chicken stock and cornflour mixture.
- Bring to the boil, then stir in the kale. Once the kale has wilted, take the dish off the heat.
- Mix the remaining oil with the splash of coconut milk. Unravel the pastry. Brush each sheet lightly with the oil mixture, then scrunch up and sit on top of the pie mixture.
- Scatter over the nigella seeds, then cook in the oven for 12 mins, or until the pastry is a deep golden brown.
- Leave to stand for a couple of mins before serving.
Recipe from bbcgoodfood.com