Eggy bread, pain perdu or French toast – this classic breakfast dish has plenty of names and just as many options for toppings.
Prep: 5 mins
Cook: 15 mins
2 large eggs
80ml whole milk
40ml double cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp cinnamon
4 thick slices brioche
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tbsp butter
icing sugar and fresh berries, to serve (optional)
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, cream, vanilla and cinnamon.
- Lay the brioche slices in a single layer in a shallow dish and pour the egg mixture over them.
- Allow to soak for 2-3 mins, then carefully turn over and soak for 2 mins more.
- Heat 1 tbsp of the vegetable oil and butter in a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat until foaming.
- Carefully lift 2 slices of the soaked brioche out of the dish and add to the frying pan.
- Fry for 3 mins on each side, until golden and crisp, then place on a wire rack over a baking tray in a warm oven while you repeat with the remaining slices.
- Serve dusted in icing sugar and scattered with fresh berries, if you like.
Recipe from bbcgoodfood.com