As the New Year is a time of celebration, renewed energy and grand plans for the next twelve months. Tasks in the garden this month are generally about keeping things nice and tidy, and getting ready for the year ahead.
Complete the vision you have with your garden early this year with these tasks:
- Put your new-year eagerness to good use by cleaning pots, tools, water butts and greenhouses to prepare for spring. It’s not the most dazzling of tasks, but it will set you up for a great growing season.
- Start scheduling what you want to do with your garden in the months to come. Now’s the time to order seeds and plants from the cosiness of your chair.
- Check your winter security is still working for you, assess any stakes, supports and ties that may have been broken in bad weather.
- Continue looking after the wildlife, put out food for peckish birds and keep leaving some areas of your garden uncut for shelter until the spring.
- Scrap your Christmas tree and add it to compost bins. Additionally, the stripped down branches make great pea sticks.
- Central heating can dry the air in your home and damage indoor plants. Mist house plants often and stand them on a tray of pebbles filled with water.