The beginning of a busy season, as the daylight lengthens so does the jobs in the Garden. Now’s the time to finish off winter tasks to make way for a whole new season of work for you to get to get involved with.
- Keep hoeing to keep emerging weeds from getting out of control whilst still small.
- Mow the lawn in mild weather conditions and rake out thatch.
- Cut back shrubby cornus and willow to two buds to encourage new stem colour next year.
- Ventilate the greenhouse regularly on warmer days to prevent younger plants from overheating.
- In the greenhouse, start dahlia tubers into growth in pots of damp compost.
- Sow tomatoes, peppers and aubergines in a heated propagator.
- Plant out early potatoes towards the end of the month.