Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 10 mins plus overnight chilling
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 100g caster sugar
- 2 tsp high-grade matcha
- 125g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 5g baking powder
- 110g clarified butter or ghee, plus extra for greasing
- 2 tsp honey
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, egg yolk, sugar, matcha and 1/2 tsp sea salt until foamy. While whisking, gradually sift in the flour and baking powder, making sure there are no lumps.
- Warm the clarified butter and honey in a pan over a low heat for 1-2 mins and gently pour into the madeleine mix, stirring constantly.
- Cover the mixture with cling film and chill in the fridge for a few hrs or overnight.
- Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7.
- Butter and flour the madeleine tins (you don’t need to do this if the moulds are silicone).
- Transfer the mixture to a piping bag. Half fill each hole in the mould.
- Bake in the oven for 3 mins, then reduce the temperature to 180C/160C fan/gas 4 and cook for a further 4-5 mins until the madeleines are golden brown and puffed.
- Remove from the tins immediately and devour!