Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 1 hr
Difficulty: Moderately Easy
75g icing sugar
75g white caster sugar
2 tsp strawberry jam
red food colouring gel
3 medium egg whites, at room temperature
- Line two large baking sheets with baking parchment. In a small bowl, mix both sugars together. In another small bowl, mix the jam with enough food colouring to create a vibrant red colour.
- In a clean, grease-free bowl, whisk the egg whites until they form stiff peaks, using electric beaters or a tabletop mixer. Add about a third of the sugar, whipping for 1 min or so, until stiff and glossy. Gradually add the remaining sugar until you have a glossy meringue that holds stiff peaks.
- Heat oven to 120C/100C fan/ gas 1/2. Turn your pastry bag inside out and, using a spoon, paint three lines of coloured jam from the top to almost the end of the bag. Fill with the meringue mix and twist the end to close.
- Holding the bag vertically over the tray, apply enough pressure to create a base, then quickly draw the bag upwards to create little points. The jam will give the meringues a stripy pattern as they pass through the bag.
- Bake in the oven for 1 hr or until the meringues sound hollow when you lift one and tap the base – they should have a crunchy shell and not be too chewy. Leave to cool in the oven with the door closed, then store in a plastic food bag or airtight container until ready to use.
Recipe from Good Food magazine, June 2016
Image from: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/meringue-kisses