Enjoy this easy Mexican rice as a side dish to accompany beef burritos or chilli. You can choose to make it veggie if you like by using vegetable stock.
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 30 mins
1 tbsp sunflower oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
250g long grain rice
1 tsp chipotle paste, optional (more if you want it spicier)
1 tbsp tomato purée
1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
750ml hot chicken or vegetable stock
small bunch of coriander, finely chopped
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and sizzle the onion for 5 mins until just starting to soften.
- Add the garlic and cook for a minute more, then stir in the chipotle paste (if using) and the tomato purée and cook for a minute.
- Add the tomatoes and simmer for a few minutes, then scatter the rice into the pan and stir, so it’s coated in the tomato mix.
- Pour over the hot stock, season, give everything another stir and bring to the boil, then cover the pan with a lid and turn the heat down to the lowest possible setting.
- Gently simmer for 15-20 mins until all the stock has been absorbed and the rice is cooked through.
- Leave the rice to sit for a few mins off the heat, then stir through the coriander and serve.
Recipe from bbcgoodfood.com