Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 15 mins (plus marinating)
½ pineapple, flesh cut into small cubes
2 thick slices of sourdough
1 tbsp mayonnaise
1 tbsp unsalted butter
2 tsp rapeseed oil
85g cheddar, sliced
1 spring onion, finely sliced
sriracha chilli sauce
For the pineapple pickle
100ml white wine vinegar
40g golden caster sugar
½ tsp coriander seeds
½ tsp mustard seeds
½ tsp black peppercorns
1 star anise
1 bay leaf
- Bring all the pineapple pickle ingredients to the boil with 100ml water.
- Add the pineapple chunks and toss in the pickle.
- Allow to cool, then transfer to a bowl, cover with cling film and leave in the fridge to marinate for at least 30 mins.
Spread the sourdough slices with mayonnaise on one side.
- Put half the butter and the rapeseed oil in a frying pan over a medium heat.
- When the butter has melted, put one slice of bread in the pan, mayo-side down, and top with a slice of cheddar, some spring onion and pickled pineapple, and more cheese and sriracha, to taste. Top with the other piece of bread, mayo-side up.
Cook for about 3 mins or until crispy and golden underneath, then turn the sandwich over and add the rest of the butter.
- Cook until crisp and golden on that side, and the cheddar is melting.
- Slice in half and serve immediately.
Recipe from Good Food magazine, July 2016
Image from: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/pickled-pineapple-sriracha-grilled-cheese