Forget a takeaway and tuck into a midweek meal that will please the whole family with our easy, low calorie prawn tikka masala. Serve with naan breads.
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 30 mins
1 large onion, roughly chopped
1 thumb-sized piece ginger, peeled and grated
2 large garlic cloves
1 tbsp rapeseed oil
2-3 tbsp tikka curry paste
400g can chopped tomatoes
2 tbsp tomato purée
½ tbsp light brown soft sugar
3 cardamom pods, bashed
200g brown basmati rice
3 tbsp ground almonds
300g raw king prawns
1 tbsp double cream
½ bunch of coriander, roughly chopped
naan breads, warmed, to serve (optional)
- Put the onion, ginger and garlic in a food processor and blitz to a smooth paste. Heat the oil in a large flameproof casserole dish or pan over a medium heat.
- Add the onion paste and fry for 8 mins or until lightly golden. Stir in the curry paste and fry for 1 min more. Add the tomatoes, tomato purée, sugar and cardamom pods.
- Bring to a simmer and cook, covered, for another 10 mins.
- Cook the rice following pack instructions.
- Scoop the cardamom out of the curry sauce and discard, then blitz with a hand blender, or in a clean food processor.
- Return to the pan, add the almonds and prawns, and cook for 5 mins. Season to taste and stir through the cream and coriander.
- Serve with the rice and naan breads, if you like.
Recipe from bbcgoodfood.com