Take your baking skills to new levels by making your own jam-filled doughnuts. Decorate with pink icing and freeze-dried raspberries for the wow factor.
Prep: 45 mins
Cook: 20 mins
130ml whole milk
1 vanilla pod, split lengthways
500g strong white bread flour
40g golden caster sugar
1 tsp fine sea salt
7g dried fast-action yeast
3 medium eggs, lightly beaten
120g unsalted butter, softened
vegetable oil, for proving and deep-frying
350g raspberry jam
For the icing
400g icing sugar, sieved
pink food colouring
freeze-dried raspberries, to decorate (optional)
- Pour the milk into a saucepan and add the split vanilla pod. Slowly bring to a simmer and once it begins to steam, remove from the heat and pour into a measuring jug.
- If it has reduced, top up to 130ml with extra milk, then leave to cool until tepid.
- Put the flour into the large bowl of a stand mixer. Stir through the sugar, salt and yeast.
- Using the hook attachment for your mixer, begin combining the dry ingredients, then add the vanilla-infused milk and eggs.
- Keep mixing for 10 mins until you have a smooth, elastic dough.
- Scoop small spoonfuls of the softened butter and gradually add to the dough. When all the butter has been added, continue mixing for a further 5-6 mins or until it is well incorporated and the dough is sticky and stretchy.
- Lightly oil a large mixing bowl, put the dough in the bowl, cover and leave in a warm place for 1 hr or until doubled in size.
- Divide the dough into 20 equal-sized pieces (if you want to weigh them, they should be around 45g each).
- Roll the dough into balls and place them, well spaced apart, on two lightly oiled baking sheets.
- Cover with lightly oiled baking parchment, or a light tea towel (if it’s too heavy, it will keep the dough from rising) and leave for a further 1 hr 30 mins or until doubled in size.
- Fill a large heavy-based saucepan two-thirds full with oil and place over a low-medium heat, bringing the temperature up to 170C.
- Use a cooking thermometer to check, then carefully lift each doughnut and gently lower into the oil to fry in batches of about 5 at a time.
- Cook each batch for 5 mins, turning halfway, until the doughnuts are dark golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to a baking tray lined with kitchen paper.
- Leave to cool completely.
Recipe from bbcgoodfood.com