Enjoy this superhealthy classic French vegetarian dish – counts as 4 of 5-a-day.
Prep: 30 mins
Cook: 30 mins
2 large aubergines
4 small courgettes
2 red or yellow peppers
4 large ripe tomatoes
5 tbsp olive oil
supermarket pack or small bunch basil
1 medium onion, peeled and thinly sliced
3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tsp sugar (any kind)
- Cut 2 large aubergines in half lengthways. Place them on the board, cut side down, slice in half lengthways again and then across into 1.5cm chunks.
- Cut the ends off 4 small courgettes, then across into 1.5cm slices.
- Peel 2 red or yellow peppers from stalk to bottom. Hold upright, cut around the stalk, then cut into 3 pieces. Cut away any membrane, then chop into bite-size chunks.
- Score a small cross on the base of each of 4 large ripe tomatoes, then put them into a heatproof bowl. Pour boiling water over, leave for 20 secs, then remove.
- Pour the water away, replace the tomatoes and cover with cold water. Leave to cool, then peel the skin away.
- Quarter the tomatoes, scrape away the seeds with a spoon, then roughly chop the flesh.
- Set a sauté pan over medium heat and when hot, pour in 2 tbsp olive oil. Brown the aubergines for 5 mins on each side until the pieces are soft. Set them aside.
- Fry the courgettes in another tbsp oil for 5 mins, until golden on both sides. Repeat with the peppers. Don’t overcook the vegetables at this stage.
- Tear up the leaves from the bunch of basil and set aside. Cook 1 thinly sliced medium onion in the pan for 5 minutes. Add 3 crushed garlic cloves and fry for a further minute.
- Stir in 1 tbsp red wine vinegar and 1 tsp sugar, then tip in the tomatoes and half the basil.
- Return the vegetables to the pan with some salt and pepper and cook for 5 mins. Serve with basil.
Recipe from bbcgoodfood.com