The plumpest, ripest strawberries make up this classic summer trifle with ginger jelly and a lemon drizzle cake base.
Prep: 30 mins
Cook: 15 mins
For the custard
600ml pot double cream
1 vanilla pod, seeds scraped
4 large egg yolks
1 tbsp cornflour
50ml elderflower cordial
2 tbsp golden caster sugar
For the ginger jelly
350ml Ginger wine
3 sheets leaf gelatine, soaked in cold water for 5 mins
For the sponge base
200g lemon drizzle cake, broken into small chunks
For the strawberry marinade
400g punnet of strawberries, hulled and halved
3 tbsp golden caster sugar
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
For the vanilla cream
600ml double cream
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
50g icing sugar
a few ginger biscuits, crushed
1 tsp lemon thyme leaves
- For the custard, heat the double cream and vanilla in a medium saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Whisk together the eggs, cornflour, cordial and sugar in a bowl, then pour in the hot vanilla cream.
- Pour into a clean pan and set over a low-medium heat for 5-6 mins until thick and glossy. Pass through a fine sieve into a bowl and leave to cool.
- Put the wine and gelatine in a separate pan, heat gently to dissolve, then pass through another fine sieve into a jug and leave to cool slightly.
- Put the lemon drizzle cake in a trifle or serving dish, pour over the jelly and place in the fridge for 1 hr to set.
- Once set, pour the custard onto the trifle base and leave to set in the fridge overnight.
- The next day, put the strawberries, caster sugar and vinegar in a mixing bowl, toss together and leave in the fridge for 1 hr or so.
- Spoon the strawberries on top of the custard, along with the balsamic juices.
- Whisk the double cream, vanilla and icing sugar together, then spoon on top of the trifle. To serve, crumble over the biscuits and scatter with thyme.
Recipe from bbcgoodfood.com