Combine tiramisu and meringue roulade to make an impressive dessert. The crisp meringue contrasts beautifully with the silky coffee cream in this recipe.
Prep: 40 mins
Cook: 20 mins
For the meringue
4 large egg whites at room temperature
200g caster sugar
icing sugar and cocoa powder, for dusting
For the mascarpone cream
200ml double cream
50g dark brown soft sugar
3 tbsp masala coffee liqueur or normal coffee liqueur (optional)
For the coffee ganache
4 tbsp instant coffee, dissolved in 50ml boiling water and left to cool slightly
100g dark chocolate, melted and left to cool slightly
- First, make the ganache. Whisk the coffee and melted chocolate together until you have a smooth, glossy mixture. Leave to cool and thicken, stirring occasionally.
- Heat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Line a 23 x 32cm baking tray with baking parchment. For the meringue, beat the egg whites and a pinch of salt with an electric whisk until stiffened slightly.
- Add 1 tbsp of the caster sugar to the egg whites, then whisk again to stiff peaks. Repeat with the rest of the sugar, a spoonful at a time, until the mixture is thick and shiny. Spread evenly into the tray, then bake for 15-20 mins, or until crisp to the touch and lightly golden in places. Leave to cool completely.
- For the mascarpone cream filling, put the cream, sugar, mascarpone and liqueur, if using, in a medium bowl and whisk until thickened.
- To assemble, sift some icing sugar over a large sheet of baking parchment, then carefully flip the cooled meringue onto it. Lift off the tin and peel away the baking parchment. With a short end facing you, score a line 2cm into the edge of the meringue. Spread the ganache evenly over the meringue, then top with the cream, smoothing it with a palette knife, then carefully roll into a roulade, starting from the scored end and using the parchment to help. Transfer to a serving plate and dust with cocoa powder.
Recipe from bbcgoodfood.com