Serve up a healthy bowlful of warming spaghetti and meatballs with this easy, family-friendly recipe. We guarantee everyone will want seconds.
Prep: 30 mins
Cook: 30 mins
500g skinless boneless chicken thighs, cut into pieces
100g fresh breadcrumbs
1 large egg, beaten
1 onion, grated
25g parmesan, finely grated plus more to serve
4 garlic cloves, crushed
½ small bunch oregano, finely chopped
2 tbsp olive oil, plus extra to grease tray and serve
2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
1 tsp sugar
- Heat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Put the chicken in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped.
- Scrape into a bowl and add the breadcrumbs, egg, onion, parmesan, half the crushed garlic, and half the oregano.
- Season really well, and mix with clean hands until everything is evenly distributed. Shape into 20 meatballs, and put onto an oiled baking tray.
- Brush the meatballs with 1½ tbsp oil. Bake for 20 minutes until cooked through and golden brown.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining ½ tbsp oil in a deep frying pan. Fry the remaining garlic for 30 secs, then add the chopped tomatoes and reserved oregano.
- Season with salt, pepper, and a pinch of sugar. Simmer for 10-15 mins stirring frequently, until the tomatoes break down and you get a thick sauce.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the spaghetti and cook for 10 mins until al dente.
- Add the cooked meatballs to the tomato sauce and gently stir through. Heat for a few minutes while you drain the spaghetti and spoon into warmed pasta bowls.
- Serve the meatballs and sauce on top. Drizzle over a little olive oil and a grating of more parmesan, if you wish.
Recipe from bbcgoodfood.com