Make a rice pudding infused with hot cross bun flavours for a special (and healthy) treat for the family. Use semi-skimmed milk for 2-5 year olds.
Prep: 45 mins
Cook: 4 hrs
1 tsp butter
1 litre semi-skimmed milk + 100ml
200g wholegrain rice
1 orange, finely zested
1 tsp mixed spice
1 tsp cinnamon
A grating of nutmeg
1 tbsp orange segments
honey and raisins, to serve
- Butter the slow cooker all over the base and half way up the sides. Heat the milk to a simmer.
- Mix the pudding rice and the milk and pour into the slow cooker. Add the orange zest, and spices.
- Cook for 4 hours on low and stir once or twice if you can. If after 3 hours the rice pudding is beginning to stick to the base of the cook, add a splash of water.
- The rice will be tender when cooked. Add 100ml milk to loosen the pudding, if necessary.
- Serve topped with orange segments and honey, fruit and raisins, if you like.
Recipe from bbcgoodfood.com