The perfect cake for brownie lovers, try a big slice warm with some ice cream, just right for the New Year!
Prep: 15-20 mins
Cook: 45 mins
175g unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
225g dark chocolate, broken into pieces
200g caster sugar
3 medium eggs, separated
65g plain flour
50g chopped pecan nuts
- Heat oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Butter a 20-25cm cake tin and line with greaseproof paper.
- Place 175g/6oz of the chocolate, plus the butter and sugar in a heavy-based pan and heat gently until melted, stirring occasionally. Leave to cool.
- Whisk the egg yolks into the chocolate mixture, then add the flour, nuts and the remaining chocolate.
- Whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks, then gently, but thoroughly, fold into the chocolate mixture.
- Pour into the prepared tin and bake in the centre of the oven for about 35-40 mins until crusty on top.
- Leave to cool, then run a knife around the sides and remove from the tin. Dust with icing sugar and serve warm with custard or ice cream or cold with cream.
Recipe from bbcgoodfood.com