Although Winter time is a colder time of the year for gardening, it doesn’t mean that there is nothing to do. December is the start of a chance to enjoy planting cool season vegetables and flowers that don’t tolerate the summer weather.
- Check houseplants and any plants you brought indoors for the winter to make corms, tubers and bare root plants for rot.
- Spread fresh gravel or grit around alpine plants.
- Plant blueberries this winter for an attractive addition to the fruit garden.
- Lift and store dahlia tubers once their leaves are blackened by frost.
- Try not to walk on your lawn if it is blanketed by heavy frost or snow, as this will damage the grass beneath.
- Help feed the wildlife.