January might be the middle of winter but as the days lengthen the garden begins to grow, now is a good time to plan for the coming gardening year and to order seeds and plants.
- Prune rose bushes now whilst they are dormant. Cut back to just above a bud and remove any crossing or dead branches.
- Cut back the old foliage from ornamental grasses before growth begins.
- Cut back damaged, diseased and the oldest stems of brightly coloured willows.
- If your greenhouse is unheated, protect your potato grow bags with horticultural fleece on cold nights.
- Brush heavy snow off of greenhouses and cold frames to prevent the glass being damaged.
- Avoid walking on your lawn when it is blanketed by heavy frost or snow, as this will damage the grass beneath.