The month of March plays an important role in the life of a gardener. As spring finally reaches us, it’s time to get busy by prepping seed beds, cutting back winter shrubs and overall tidying up around the garden. Here’s a few tips to get you started:
- If any of your garden plants require support this year, put them in now, so plants can grow up through them.
- Feed trees, shrubs and hedges with a slow-release fertiliser, lightly fork it into the soil surface.
- Keep an eye out for slugs as the weather begins to warm up. Pay special attention to soft, new growth, which slugs adore.
- Try covering prepared soil with some sheet of black plastic, which will keep it drier and warmer in preparation for planting.
- Prepare your soil for growing new lawn from seed. Doing this now gives it time to settle before sowing.
- As the weather starts to get warmer, begin weeding – it’s easier to control weeds if you remove them while they’re young.
- Get rid of slimy patches on patios by cleaning with a broom or a pressure washer.