Prep: 5 mins
Cook: 20 mins
1 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion , chopped
2 celery sticks, chopped
2 tsp ground cumin
600ml hot vegetable stock
400g can chopped plum tomatoes
400g can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
100g frozen broad beans
zest and juice ½ lemon
large handful coriander or parsley and flatbread, to serve
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, then fry the onion and celery gently for 10 mins until softened, stirring frequently.
- Tip in the cumin and fry for another min.
- Turn up the heat, then add the stock, tomatoes and chickpeas, plus a good grind of black pepper. Simmer for 8 mins.
- Throw in broad beans and lemon juice, cook for a further 2 mins.
- Season to taste, then top with a sprinkling of lemon zest and chopped herbs. Serve with flatbread.
Recipe from Good Food magazine, Feb 2005
Image from: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1499/moroccan-chickpea-soup