September, usually a cooler time of the year, can also be the time when your garden begins to transform as we go into the Autumn season.
- Dividing perennials regularly will ensure healthy, vigorous plants that will continue to perform year after year.
- Dig up remaining potatoes before slug damage spoils them.
- Water is a limited and valuable resource, but is also essential for plant growth. To make the most of water, collect what you can and store and use it safely.
- Clean out cold frames and greenhouses so that they are ready for use in the autumn. Cleaning greenhouses, whether glass or plastic, greatly improves the growing environment for plants.
- Wood pigeons can be the most serious bird pest in gardens and allotments. Cover leafy vegetable crops with bird-proof netting.