Prep: 10 mins
Difficulty: More Effort
Cook: 25 mins
3 sweetcorn cobs, cooked, kernels sliced off
200g tapioca flour
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
¼ tsp garlic powder
¼ tsp chilli flakes
1 tsp cumin seeds, toasted
sunflower oil, for frying
flaky sea salt, to serve
For the salsa
1 tbsp rapeseed oil
2 medium courgettes, finely diced
1 green chilli, diced
1 garlic clove, grated
1 green tomato, diced
1 tsp chopped coriander
juice 1 lime
- First, make the salsa. Heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium-high heat and fry the courgettes for about 3 mins until lightly coloured.
- Remove from the pan and mix with the chilli, garlic, tomato and coriander while the courgettes are still hot.
- Leave to cool, then finish with the lime juice and some seasoning. Set aside.
- In a food processor, whizz a third of the corn kernels to a purée.
- Transfer to a large bowl and combine with the tapioca, polenta, bicarb, spices and some seasoning, then whisk in the cider.
- Tip in the remaining sweetcorn and give everything a stir to make a batter.
- Heat a deep-fat fryer to 180C or until a piece of bread browns in 20 secs, or fill a large, heavy-based saucepan with oil.
- Working in batches, deep-fry large spoonfuls of the batter for 1-2 mins or until golden, then remove with a slotted spoon onto a baking tray lined with kitchen paper.
- Sprinkle with flaky sea salt and serve with the salsa.
Recipe from Good Food magazine, September 2016
Image from: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/sweetcorn-beignets