Make the most of Quorn mince for this easy veggie Bolognese that’s low in fat and calories. A delightful dish to share with your significant other. Cook a large batch ahead and freeze for another time.
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 1 hr
2 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 carrots, very finely chopped
2 celery sticks, very finely chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
350g frozen Quorn mince
1 bay leaf
1 good-quality vegetable stock cube
small bunch basil, chopped
600g cooked spaghetti or other pasta shape (about 250g dried)
vegetarian hard cheese, to serve
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and gently fry the onion, carrots and celery until the onion is starting to soften.
- Stir in the garlic and the Quorn (there’s no need to defrost it) and fry for a couple of mins. Add the bay leaf, passata, vegetable stock cube and 200ml water, then bring everything to the boil.
- Turn down the heat and simmer for 30 mins or until all the pieces of veg are tender and disappearing into the tomato sauce.
- Add the milk, then cover with a lid and cook for 10 mins. Season to taste. If the sauce is a bit thin, keep bubbling until it thickens.
- Stir through the basil. Serve with the spaghetti and grate the cheese over the top, if you like. Can be frozen into portions and reheated.
Recipe from bbcgoodfood.com