Prep: 20 mins
Difficulty: More Effort
Cook: 30 mins
70ml maple syrup, plus extra to serve
125ml red wine
2 eggs, plus 4 egg yolks
100g golden caster sugar
250ml double cream
50g plain flour
6 rashers streaky dry-cure bacon
1 ½ tbsp icing sugar
crème fraîche, to serve (optional)
- In a saucepan, bring the maple syrup and wine to the boil.
- Put the blueberries in a large bowl, pour the mix over and leave to cool.
- In another large bowl, whisk the eggs, yolks and sugar together, then whisk in the cream and kirsch, followed by the flour.
- Leave to stand for a few mins – the mixture should be the consistency of pancake batter.
- While the batter rests, lay the bacon on a wire rack over a roasting tin and dust with icing sugar.
- Bake at 180C/160C fan/gas 4 for 25 mins or until crisp.
- Divide the blueberries and their sauce between six shallow ceramic dishes, then pour over the batter.
- Cook in the same oven as the bacon for 25 mins until puffed up and slightly golden.
- Serve with the candied bacon, a drizzle of maple syrup and crème fraîche, if you like.
Recipe from Good Food magazine, September 2016
Image from: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/blueberry-brunch-clafoutis