February is quite the turning point in the garden. It still can be cold outside, but there are signs of spring’s impending arrival everywhere you look. Bulbs begin to emerge from the ground, and the days are getting longer at last!
Feel the love with your garden this month with these February tips:
- Arrange your seed beds. As long as the ground isn’t frozen over, you can nurture beds and start to warm up the soil with fleece, polythene or cloches, to prepare for sowing in the approaching months.
- Categorise this year’s seeds by sowing date. Get hold of a box with dividers, and file your seed packets by the month they need to be sown in. You’ll be so relieved of this in the weeks to come.
- Check your tools are well maintained and your garden machinery is top notch. Give your tools and equipment the once over and apply a little TLC to any and all that needs it.
- Go for the perennial weeds in your beds and kitchen garden! Dig them up, to get a head start on them before the weather begins to warm up.
- Remove faded flowers from winter pansies to prevent them setting seed. This will inspire a flush of new flowers when the weather warms up.
- The weather’s still cold this month so hang fat balls and keep bird feeders topped up.