As leaves start falling and the wind and rain are on the increase watch out for tender plants that need protecting from frost, gales and freezing rains. Shift these plants into the greenhouse, or into a sheltered spot, but if you can’t, it is worth wrapping plants or pots. Don’t forget winter can be a tough time for birds in terms of water and food, so keep supplies well topped up.
- Raise containers onto pot feet to prevent water logging
- Prune roses to prevent wind-rock.
- Plant out winter bedding
- This month is an ideal time to move trees and shrubs, and plant hedges.
- Clear up fallen leaves – especially from lawns, ponds and beds
- Put out bird food to encourage winter birds into the garden
- Insulate outdoor containers from frost – bubble-wrap works well – especially from lawns, ponds and beds