Enjoy the Colours!
Vegetable growing really takes off this month. Chit and plant out second early potatoes in the first half of the month, maincrop potatoes in the second half. It’s also time to sow seed outdoors in well-prepared soil.
April jobs to do:
- Ideal time to plant pot-grown fruit trees and bushes.
- Chit and plant out second early potatoes in the first half of the month, maincrop potatoes in the second half.
- Sow seed outdoors for beetroot, carrots, Swiss chard, summer cauliflower, kohl rabi, lettuce, leeks, radish, turnip, spring and pickling onions, peas and perpetual spinach in well-prepared soil.
- Try sowing unusual vegetables such as salsify, Hamburg parsley, or scorzonera.
- Sow seed indoors of marrows, courgettes, pumpkins and squash. Also sweet peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, aubergines, celery, celeriac, salads and globe artichokes. Mow the lawn on dry days (if needed).
- In very mild areas sow dwarf French beans and sweet corn outside under cloches or fleece at the end of April. In cooler areas wait until May.
- Transplant broad beans grown in pots.
- Plant shallots, onion sets and garlic.
- Check that your container plants are not drying out – warm weather will quickly affect soil moisture levels.